With 2016 is upon, we asked some of our Paiwen Girl Ambassadors for healthy lifestyle tips for the new year.
Here is what our awesome girls had to say:
Kate Watson, Paiwen Girl and Co-Founder of Neumovement
1. As we take down tree decorations, and clean up the house after the holiday season, it is good to set a little routine that keeps us grounded and centered after the parties and chaos. Try practicing these yoga postures at home in your living room to keep you feeling clam and collected, even after Christmas is over!
Alison Calder, Paiwen Girl and Personal Trainer
2. Get as much sunlight as possible. Don't be scared of the rain or a cloudy day. Get outside and recharge - your mood will thank you :)
3. Watch your social media consumption. Don't compare your life with all the picture perfect holiday posts. Live YOUR life.
4. If you live in a more temperate or tropical climate at this time of year, get out on your paddleboard and try some of these exercises for a workout on the water!
Nikki Johnston Beaudoin, Paiwen Girl and Owner/Instructor, Sea to Sky SUP, Yoga & Fitness
5. Don’t get caught up in post-holiday “penance”. So many of us feel guilty about all the food and drinks we have indulged in to celebrate the season - but it doesn't mean we have to punish ourselves by going on some kind of “cleanse” or celebrity fad diet that isn’t sustainable in the long-run. There is little scientific evidence to suggest that we need to “cleanse” our bodies; but this doesn’t absolve us from cultivating healthy habits either.
Small and simple healthy habits everyday can lead to improving health and fitness; balanced meals, healthy snacks, watching your portions and alcohol consumption throughout the week, exercise regularly, turn off your electronics by 10 pm - get eight hours of sleep per night.
6. Move everyday. If you can’t get to your workout everyday, just make sure to move in whatever way you can - walk everywhere, do 15 minutes of yoga at home, or do a 12 minute High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout at home. Ride your bike to your appointments. It all adds up. Just keep moving! But by the same token, know when to rest! Overplaying and overtraining and also keep you from attaining the results you are looking for!
7. For those of you living in BC’s temperate Lower Mainland climate, get out on the water for a paddle on a sunny day. In the winter, we can forget about how good it feels to be near the water; just grab your neoprene and go! If you can’t get out to paddle, go to a local pool, go for a swim, or sit in a hot tub - there are many proven health benefits to being in, near or close to the water. Some local community centres even offer indoor SUP Yoga classes.
8. Do the "excited test". For many, the New Year will bring new opportunities and new decisions. When faced with new decisions, we can sometimes feel conflicted between what we want and what we think we ought to do. Take a moment and ask yourself: “Am I excited about this?” If not, then re-consider whether the opportunity is really right for you.
9. Finally, have fun, look for new adventures, play, make mistakes and seize the day!
Happy New Year from the Paiwen Girl family!
Like what you see? Subscribe to our newsletter mailing list in the sidebar and receive news, adventure, paddling and wellness tips from the Paiwen paddling community!
Fresh News From The Paiwen Women's Paddleboarding Community